CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Q & A on Looking Glass...

Here's a list of question and answers about my manuscript for Looking Glass that people who've read it ask me quite frequently.

[Why are there so many spiritual references?]
I'm Catholic and I adore the Saints. I love spiritual art and learning about different ways people express thier faith. This book is full of references to different religions all over the world. I've included references to greek and roman dieties, catholic saints, Hindu gods, spiritualism, gnosticism and even alchemey. These references are usually blurred unless you know what your looking for and here are a few sneak peeks: The "Mad Hatter" character is hung on a spinning wheel which is a mix of the Crucifiction of Saint Peter as well as a nod to the greek figure of Ixion who was tied to a flaming wheel. The Queen is an Alchemy symbol of the moon and The "Caterpillar" character tells fortunes based on an old Hindi method of pouring oil in one's hand and reading the pattern.

[What are the other references in the book?]
I used a lot of plant and color codes to change the mood as "Alice" gets closer to the queen. The scenes include colors, stones, and plants that symbolize virtue that blurr to death as the queen comes into view.

[Why such a dark turn for your writing? Are you okay?]
Yes I'm okay. I wanted to write something different for a change. Something of pure fantasy that doesn't come directly from my life. There are bits and pieces of bad things from my life interwoven into the character of "alice". Consider this a way of me letting things go.

[Why all the circus freaks and torture devices?]
I like them. I admire the old Circus freaks, because they took what they were and transformed it into a thing of beauty. Most of the performers were compelling and educated people who rose above the hand that was dealt them to make a comfortable life for themselves. As for the torture devices I believe that even the happiest person is tortured in some way. Even celebrities and powerful people are plaqued with the thought of "Do they really like me?"

0 comments: